Friday 22 July 2011

Mondo Cane - 'Do It' Review

Mondo Cane
Do It
Self Released

Back in Issue 1.2 of The Rhubarb Bomb’s physical format I remarked that Mondo Cane shared their name with one of Mike Patton’s many musical projects when reviewing their “Guaranteed Personality” EP. I suppose they deserve some kudos for sticking to their guns and keeping the name, despite the competition. It’s not only the name they’ve retained since that last release, the title track showcases a familiar quiet/loud song structure, with fuzzbox a plenty. “Popular View” is more evenly paced, but relies on the same dynamics. At two tracks long “Do It” is a useful reminder of this band. I’m not sure I’d want to hear a full album along the same lines, some greater experimentation would be welcome, but if you’re already a fan of the band I’ve no doubt this one’s for you.

Andy Whittaker

No comments:

Post a Comment